What are digestive enzymes and why are they important? Wilkepedia defines them as:
"Digestive enzymes are enzymes that break down polymeric macromolecules into their smaller building blocks, in order to facilitate their absorption by the body. Digestive enzymes are found in the digestive tract of animals (including humans) where they aid in the digestion of food as well as inside the cells, especially in their lysosomes where they function to maintain cellular survival. Digestive enzymes are diverse and are found in the saliva secreted by the salivary glands, in the stomach secreted by cells lining the stomach, in the pancreatic juicesecreted by pancreatic exocrine cells, and in the intestinal (small and large) secretions, or as part of the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. "
In layman's terms they help to break down your food which makes them very important for your overall health. Raw foods are loaded with enzymes while cooked foods are not. It is very important to try to eat with a high percentage of raw foods. It will improve overall digestion and general health. You will feel more energetic as well. It is very important to supplement with a good digestive enzyme if you do not have a lot of raw vegetables in your current diet. Try adding them. I always tell clients to eat something raw with every meal. Even if you don't have time to make a salad. Cut up some cucumbers, carrots or celery to munch on with your lunch. I'd be interested to hear how many are eating a primarily raw food diet. Let's all try to add more raw food to our diets!!
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Anyone familiar with kefir? Kefir is a probiotic beverage that is very easy to make. They sell regular kefir, which is a fermented dairy drink similar to yogurt, in the stores. However, since most of us avoid dairy products, there is an alternative. Young coconut kefir. Read what people are saying about this amazing easy to prepare beverage:
- It completely stops your cravings for sugar. Imagine the benefits of that!
- It aids digestion of all foods
- It has a tonifying affect on the intestines, even flattening the abdomen!
- It appears to cleanse the liver. In Chinese medicine the liver rules the skin, eyes, and joints. Coconut water kefir eases aches and joint pains. Many people report having a prettier complexion. They experience the brown liver spots on the skin fading away and skin tags, moles, or warts drying up and disappearing. Vision also improves
- It contains high levels of valuable minerals, including potassium, natural sodium, and chloride, which explains why the hair, skin and nails become stronger and have a prettier shine.
- It appears to have a beneficial, cleansing effect on the endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, pituitary, ovaries). Women find that their periods are cleaner and healthier; some who had experienced early menopause have found this important monthly cleansing returning again.
- It increases energy and gives you an overall feeling of good health.
I have included a link with directions on how to prepare. It's not as hard as it looks!
It can also be purchased pre-made by visiting www.bodyecology.com . Please let me know if you make it. I would love to hear your results!!
Have a great day!!
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Was talking to someone today who asked me "If you could only take one thing to help with digestion, what would it be?" My answer, "Probiotics". Probiotics are very important. The microflora help to balance the gut for a balanced inner eco-system. You can get healthy bacteria from a probiotic supplement or from probiotic foods. This week the focus will be on probiotics so check in for some good recipes.
Have a great weekend!!
Have a great weekend!!